Wondering why am i sweating while sleeping at night and want to know the reason behind excessive sweating while sleeping, then this is for you.
Night sweats are an annoyance that affect a considerable part of the population. While for some it isn’t such a big issue due to light sweating, for many people it is a huge worry because of excessive sweating that can wet the sheets.
Night-time sweating itself may seem like a small trouble, but it can cause enough discomfort to disturb your sleep, eventually creating issues with your routine and productivity.
Night time sweats can be caused due to a wide range of factors, such as an uncomfortable sleeping environment, or anxiety related issues.
Why Sweating While Sleeping At Night?
Are you worried due to waking up drenched in sweat or feeling overheated while sleeping? Let’s look into a few major factors behind this issue, and some easy ways to prevent it.
This blog will offer you some of the popular tips and tricks used around the world to prevent sweating while sleeping.
Uncomfortable sleeping environment
An uncomfortable sleep environment is one of the primary reasons behind night sweats. Sleep environment includes various sub factors such as body temperature, room temperature, material of the bedsheet and your mattress and pillows.
High body and room temperatures cause trapping of heat, which leads to sweating.
The same logic is followed with your bedsheets and sleep accessories. If the materials are too dense, they’ll end up trapping more heat and cause you to sleep hot and sweaty.
Mattresses and pillows
Many people choose to ignore the importance of the right mattress and pillows for quality sleep. A quality mattress, and one suitable to your specific needs is highly important to prevent sweating issues.
Mattresses may have old, dense foam that may trap high amounts of heat and cause discomfort. Pillows are even more important, as they are in direct contact with the head.
If your pillows are trapping heat, they may aggravate the sweating issue even further.
High stress and anxiety
Unnaturally high mental activity caused due to problems such as high stress and anxiety can cause sweating while sleeping.
An overactive brain, due to overthinking or high levels of mental tension can cause rapid heart rate and higher metabolism.
These symptoms are some of the major reasons behind sweating, especially while sleeping.
Eating habits and other routine changes
Many people have habits of eating heavy meals before sleep or exercising right before bed. Activities such as these raise the metabolism and make the body work hard.
This raises the body’s internal temperature, which may cause excessive sweating. Such activities throw off the body’s natural temperature regulation process, adding to the discomfort.
Underlying health conditions or medications
Oftentimes, there may be other issues such as hyperthyroidism or undiagnosed sleep apnea that may interfere with the process of sleep and cause sweating while you are asleep.
A few medications also tend to have a similar effect. If you are worried that this might be the case, it is best to consult with a licensed medical practitioner and discuss possibilities with them.
What measures to take?
Change your sleeping conditions
There are many ways to improve your sleeping conditions:
- Remember the hot water bottle that used to keep you warm in winters? Time to bring it out and fill it with ice to keep the bed a bit cooler.
- Ensure that your room is cool and well ventilated at all times to avoid trapping heat.
- Always keep a bottle of cool drinking water besides your bed during the night
- Sleep in light clothes made with breathable material
Check on your sleeping apparatus (mattress and pillows)!
Mattress – Is your mattress trapping heat? Is it made of old, dense foam material? Try upgrading to a Magniflex mattress. Created with advanced materials and technology, Magniflex offerings focus on improving sleep quality.
These mattresses are created with materials such as Magnigel and Memoform that work on wicking away heat, and removing sweat and moisture. Mattress base and toppers are made of thermo-regulating material that draws body heat and lets you sleep cooler, and more comfortable.
Here’s how Magniflex helps:
- Research on local markets helps us design suitable products
- Rigorous testing leads to long lasting comfort and other advantages
- Use of innovative core materials helps ensure heat prevention
- Light topper fabrics like satin wick away surface moisture and heat
- Innovative materials like Eliosoft and Elioform ensure constant breathability
Pillows and bedsheets – Similar to mattresses, your pillows and bedsheets can also trap heat if they aren’t made with the right materials.
It’s important to ensure that the fabrics that come into body contact should be of light, breathable materials.
Advantages of Magniflex pillows:
- Breathable fabrics help maintain air circulation
- Magnigel material helps in dissipating sweat moisture and excess heat from under your head
- Innovative foam material helps maintain correct sleep posture
Check your routine and food habits
- Do you exercise before sleeping? Try doing it earlier in the day to avoid increasing metabolism rates right before bed.
- Do you have erratic meal schedules? Try to follow a balanced and consistent meal routine, and eat light before bed.
- When getting ready to sleep, instead of jumping into your bed, try and sit down briefly, and engage in a calming activity such as reading a book or listening to music.
- Try washing your hands and feet before going to bed.
- Avoid alcohol or caffeine right before sleep. Both are known to raise body temperature, and consuming them right before bed can cause you to sleep hot.
There are various causes for night sweats, and knowing what’s causing them in your case is highly important. Bringing changes to factors listed above is a great way to identify the reasons and avoid night sweats.
The problem is a fairly common one, and while it may not be a serious health issue, it can become a major annoyance at times. Lifestyle changes such as replacing your mattress and pillows is a major relief for many, and is a great way of improving quality of sleep.